So this was my second festive period without the crazy juice and it was fantastic. Last year I spent a lot of time being nervous about an alcohol free Christmas but this year I relaxed in the knowledge that it would be great. And it was. No hangovers, no anxiety, no talking shit (my family may not agree) and no sweats (only food sweats). Hoobloodyrah!
But do not let your guard down yet sober crew, New Years Eve is on the way and it can be a tough one for us non drinkers. Here’s my top 5 tips for an alcohol free new year……
- Do not put yourself in any situation you do not want to be in. If you’re newly sober don’t “test” yourself and be around drunk people for 10 hours. It’ll be boring as shit and there’s no need. Do what makes you happy. If that’s sitting in on your own with good telly and crap food then so be it. Your life, your rules.
- If you are off out then make sure you’ll be able to get your mince pie smelling hands on some alcohol free swag! If you’re going to a house party take your own. If off out then ring ahead to see what they’ve got or ask them to get some in. Places are usually really accommodating.
- Take the pressure off yourself and realise it really is just another night.
- If you’re a people pleaser (takes one to know one dear) then have a night off. It’s not about anyone else but you and your sobriety. Even if you need to pull a few white lies out of the bum bag then do so. Put yourself first and remember….. NO ONE GIVES A HOLY FLIP FLOP IF YOU GO TO THE PARTY OR NOT.
- Start celebrating New Year’s Day instead of the night before. Firstly, that makes way more sense anyway as it’s more exciting to wake up in a new year feeling great. Secondly, you can be smug as fuck skipping around the place while the living dead take a month off the poison as they feel so bad. I’m going out for a sunrise walk and I can’t wait (sunrise isn’t till 8 so please don’t gasp).
So please let me know how you’re feeling, how your sober Christmas was and any alcohol free new year tips you want to add below.
Please feel free to comment as I love to hear from you all. And tick yes to be notifed when I answer as I always do.